Name Histories I

Home ] Up ] Name Histories A ] Name Histories B ] Name Histories C ] Name Histories D ] Name Histories E ] Name Histories F ] Name Histories G ] Name Histories H ] [ Name Histories I ] Name Histories J ] Name Histories K ] Name Histories L ] Name Histories M ] Name Histories N ] Name Histories O ] Name Histories P ] Name Histories Q ] Name Histories R ] Name Histories S ] Name Histories T ] Name Histories U ] Name Histories V ] Name Histories W ] Name Histories X ] Name Histories Y ] Name Histories Z ]

Battleships-Cruisers .co .uk Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Google

 

www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         

Ship Name Histories - Database of histories of ship names beginning with letter I.

HMS Implacable

The first ?IMPLACABLE? was the French 74-gun ship ?Duguay Trouin.?  She was of 1882 tons, and carried a crew of 640 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 181ft., 49ft., and 24ft.    With the exception of the ?Victory? she is the sole survivor of the ships which fought at the battle of Trafalgar.  She is the last of the numerous French prizes captured in the great war, and is one of the few ships that twice over passed from an enemy?s hands to our own.  She was built in one of the French dockyards- probably Rochefort- and was brought round to Toulon early in 1793, and was in the basin of that port in the following August, when Admiral Lord Hood and the British Mediterranean fleet took possession of the town and dockyard in the name of Louis XVII.  The place was held until December 18th when, after a long investment by the Republican troops with whom Napoleon Bonaparte, then a young man of twenty-three, was serving in command of the artillery, the British were forced to retire taking with them 15 ships which were ready for sea.  Sir Sidney Smith was entrusted with the task of setting fire to some of the others which were left behind, and the ?Duguay Trouin? was among them, but owing to the necessity for great haste the firing was imperfectly accomplished.  The ?Duguay Trouin? is said to of been set on fire, but so quickly did the Republican troops come on scene that the fire was extinguished, though presumably the ship was badly damaged, for it was seven years before she was again at sea.  In 1802 after cruising with the Northern squadron, she was sent to the West Indies to assist in repressing the rebellion of Toussaint l?Ouverture in San Domingo.  She had an adventurous passage home in company with the ?Guerriere? and after several passing engagements with British ships she reached Corunna in safety.    She was one of the van of the enemy?s combined fleet at the battle of Trafalgar, and after being slightly engaged and firing a few shots at the ?Victory,? she escaped with three other ships under Rear-Admiral Dumanoir.  On November 4th, 1805 all four ships were captured by a squadron under Rear-Admiral Sir Richard Strachan, after a stubbornly contested action in which the ?Duguay Trouin? lost her Captain Claud Touffet killed, and 149 killed or wounded.  An account of this action from the Brittish standpoint will be found under ?Caesar? in the second volume of this work.     The ?Duguay Trouin? was taken by the ?HERO,? Captain the Hon. Alan Hyde Gardner.  A good account of her capture, from the point of view, is given in the following translation of a private letter written by one of her officers, apparently a Captain of Marines, named Gemahling, published in M. Maurice Loir?s work, Gloires et Souvenirs Maritimes:   This battle was, so to speak, the epilogue of Trafalgar.  The four vessels of Dumanoir, which had escaped the disaster  which over took Villeneuve?s fleet, attempted to regain France.  But it was in vein.       The 11th of last Brumaire (November 2nd), off Cape Ortegal, near Ferrol, we encountered two English frigates which chased us all day; then, in the evening, under the cover of fog with rain, accompanied by a strong wind, we went about, and laid our course for France. Next day, November 3rd, at ten o? clock, the fog disappeared , the wind became calm, and we sighted the enemy.  Unfortunately our flagship, the ?Formidable,? sailed very badly, and the English squadron gained on us.  During the evening one frigate was within range, but she did not open fire.  She sought, but vainly, to bring us to action the next day, Brumaire 13th (November 4th).     We continued then on our course when we were attacked first three line-of-battle ships and two frigates ; then by another line-of-battle ship, accompanied by a frigate; in all, four line-of-battle ships and four frigates against four ships already tried by the cannon shot of the enemy, and by a tempest or more than eight days duration.  The Rear-Admiral made signals to to form a single of battle-always the same deplorable tactics!  Our vessel, the ?Duguay-Trouin,? was to starboard of the flagship, the ?Scipio? and the ?Monte Blanc? to port.  The English, on their part, adopted a much more intelligent manoeuvre, which consisted in separating the enemy?s ships from each other, surrounding them as far as possible, and overwhelming the in detail.    To what end these details, my dear friend?  Pardon me, but it is so cruel to see one?s self beaten, over whelmed, when perhaps?    We defended ourselves with the energy of despair, but manoeuvring always badly and with deplorable indecision.  The enemy, with his great superiority in numbers, and the good condition of his ship, which he manoeuvred with ease, overwhelmed us by taking advantage of our feebleness and our blunders.  In our ship to brave Captain Touffet, killed at the opening of the action, had been replaced with the Captain-of-Frigate Boisnard, who himself received a bullet in the knee.  Lieutenants Lavenu, Guillet, Cosse?, Tocville successively took command, and were so severely wounded as to be obliged to quit the deck.  However, after having his wound dressed, Lieutenant Guillet, whose cheek had been pierced by a bullet, retook his post in demand of our unhappy ?Duguay-Trouin,? all disabled, making water, overwhelmed by the fire of two line-of-battle ships and frigates.  It was not war, as it should of understood, but an abominable butchery: three-quarters of my company there around me; my poor Lieutenant Le Deyeux breathing his last a few paces distant, and many others!    My heart bleeds to describe this disaster; it is so recent, and we are so wretched? I hasten to finish with this horrible picture.  At four O? Clock the entire mizzen mast had fell, and with it the ensign.  This was the end of the slaughter.  We were the last to surrender.  No doubt in the other three vessels they had done as we did in ours, and defended themselves to the last extremity.  We did more harm to the enemy?s men than to his ships.  Our gunners only knew how to get themselves killed.     I return to my story.  Remaining on board our own vessel, we were taken to Plymouth, where we arrived on November 9th.  The English officers, I will do them this justice, behaved becomingly to us during the transit; but they were not slow, in a spirit of vengeance little worthy of a great nation, to make us pay very dearly for the relatively good treatment which they accorded to us!   In 1808 the ?Implacable,? commanded by Captain Thomas Byam Martin, was one of a fleet of 12-ships of the line and small craft, commanded by Vive-Admiral Sir James Saumarez with his flag in ?Victory.?  They co-operated with the Swedes against the allied powers of Russia, Denmark, and France in the Baltic.    In August a portion of the English and Swedish fleets chased a Russian fleet off Hango.  Both fleets spread out in the chase, and after some manoeuvring the ?Implacable? passed a few feet from the quarter of the leewardmost Russian 74-gun ship ?Sewolod,? when a broadside with three shot in every gun was pored into the Russian with tremendous effect.  The Russian had her ensign twice shot away, and after the last time, when it is probably hauled down, the pennant was lowered in token of surrender.  The enemy had a loss of 48 killed and 80 wounded.  The ?Implacable? lost killed and 26 wounded, and on closing the flagship ?Centaur? she was received with three cheers.    The ?Implacable? was then recalled to the flag, whereupon the ?sewolod? rehoisted her colours and made off in tow of a Russian frigate and was safely anchored after grounding in the roads outside Roggersvik.  The ?Implacable? had received considerable damage, and her mizzenmast was expected to fall.  Fortunately it was fine weather, and in just over half an hour the wounded mast was fished, and other damage had been sufficiently repaired to enable the ship to proceed.  The ?centaur? and ?Implacable? then again attacked, and after half-an-hour?s action the ?Sewolod? again hauled down her colours, this time with a loss of 180 killed, wounded, and missing, while the British lost 3 killed and 27 wounded.  The ?Centaur? went ashore during this attack, and was hauled off by the ?Implacable? after the ?Sewolod? had surrendered.  Captain Martin went close in to the two ships, and letting go of both anchors swung round so close to Sir Samuel Hood?s flagship, the ?Centaur,? that he was able to go on board that ship by walking along the spanker boom, holding on by the vangs.  Notwithstanding the approach of the Russian fleet the ?Sewolod? was set on fire, and ultimately blew up.     On July 7th, 1809, the boats from the ?Implacable,? Captain Thomas Byam Martin, together with those from three other ships, proceeded into Baro Sound on the Finland coast to attack eight Russian gunboats and a number of merchantmen at anchor inside the fringe of islets which encircles the shore.  The boats, under Lieutenant Hawkey of the ?Implacable,? approached under a tremendous fire, and boarded and captured six of the gunboats, and sank a seventh.  Twelve of the merchant convoy also were taken.  Of the 270 officers and men who took part in the operations, 17 were killed and 37 were wounded.  The Russians lost over 120 men.   In 1840 the ?Implacable,? commanded by Captain Edward Harvey, was one of a combined fleet of 32 British, 8 Austrian, and 3 Turkish vessels, under Admiral the Hon. Robert Stopford with his flag in ?Princess Charlotte,? which were engaged in the blockade of the Syrian coast to prevent any further Egyptian advance against Turkey.  The ?Implacable? remained off Alexandria throughout the operations, and did not take part in the subsequent bombardments, etc.  When the ship returned to Devonport, from the Syrian operations, she carried a ?cock? at her masthead, to indicate that in all drills and evolutions in the Mediterranean she had been ?Cock Of The Walk.?  She was paid off at Devonport on January 17th 1842.   In 1855 she became a training ship for the boys at Devonport, and in 1871 was annexed to the ?Lion? for the same purpose, the whole establishment being known by the latter name.  The ship was first put on the sale list in 1908, but was removed from it through the patriotic Mr. G. Wheatly Cobb, who was so very good as to supply the author with many details of the ship?s history.  The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty subsequently agreed to lend this old ship to Mr. Cobb for preservation, as an interesting relic of the Napoleonic Wars.  In 1912 Mr. Cobb arranged for her to be towed round to Falmouth, where, in a sheltered corner of the harbour, it is hoped she may remain for many years to come.   The ?Implacable? is not the only historic ship that her present custodian has tried to save for the nation.  The best-known case, that of the ?Foudroyant,? may be briefly referred to here, as her name does not come within this scope of work.   Named after the earlier ?Foudroyant,? captured by the ?Monmouth? in 1758, and of the same type, an 80-gun two-decker, the ship in question was launched at Plymouth in March 1798.  She was ordered to be fitted as flagship for Rear-Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson in the previous November, while still on the stocks, but, as she could not be completed in time, the ?Vanguard? was substituted for her, and she thus missed the honour of being flagship at the Battle of the Nile.  ?All agree,? wrote Earl St. Vincent to Nelson, announcing her launch, ?that she is the most perfect ship that ever swam on salt water.?  After serving under Sir J.B Warren and Lord Keith she joined Nelson at Palermo, and carried his flag from June 1799 to July 1800.  She was present at the capture of the ?Genereux? and ?Guillaume Tell,? the only line of battleships that had escaped from the battle of the Nile, and was commanded in succession by Thomas Masterman Hardy and Sir Edward Berry, two of Nelson?s most famous Captains.  ?I love her,? wrote Nelson, ?as a fond father a darling child, and glory in her deeds.?  In 1801 she was flagship of Lord Keith who commanded the expedition to Egypt, and the gallant Sir Ralph Abercromby died on board her.  In 1804 and 1805, as flagship of Sir Thomas Graves, she took part in the blockade of Brest, and later flew the flag of Sir Sidney Smith.    Early in 1892, when six years short of her century, and when her record seems to have been somewhat forgotten, she was sold for ?2500 to Mr. J. Read of Portsmouth to be broken up.  Mr Wheatly Cobb became aware of her impending fate, and made a strong but unavailing appeal for her preservation.  Meanwhile she had been sold again, this time for ?2900, to a ship-breaker at Swinemunde in the Baltic, and some unfavourable comment was aroused by the spectacle of Nelson?s favourite ship being towed to a German breaker?s yard for demolition.  On 24th September Punch made her sale the subject of a cartoon by Linley Sambourne, and some spirited lines of protest, and Sire A. Conan Doyle wrote some scathing verses, published later in his songs of action, ending with a passionate appeal to the Admiralty to ?sink her a thousand fathoms sheer,? rather than condemn her to such fate.  Mr Wheatly Cobb published the correspondence with the Admiralty in the Times and opened negotiations with the German, who demanded ?6000 for the ship delivered in the Thames.  Mr Cobb?s father, Mr Joseph Richard Cobb, F.S.A., offered ?3000 towards her purchase; a London merchant (a German) came forward with a similar amount, and in November the ship, shorn of poop and upper deck, was brought back.  After further struggles and adventures she was restored at Erith, rigged and armed with 58 of her original complement of 80 guns, at a total cost of ?25,000, the entire expense being borne by Mr. J. R. Cobb, whose partner had long since repented of his bargain, and been bought out.  In June 1896, she was taken charge by Mr.  Wheatly Cobb, and thenceforth maintained at his expense.  Her crew numbered 53, of whom 20 were boys.  She made a few short trips under sail, but this was soon abandoned owing to the weakness of the crew.  She was exhibited at Woolich, Brighton, Cowes, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Plymouth, Cardiff, Newport, Liverpool, and Blackpool in succession, in the hope that the shillings and sixpences of sight-seers would reduce to some extent the burden of her upkeep.  This expectation was not fulfilled.  Though her owner was charged with making her a speculation and combining ?patriotism with profit,? the receipts amounted to about ?400, while the cost of maintenance for the year was over ?4000.  On June 16th, 1897, while off Blackpool, in a violent gale, the ship parted a cable, dragged her remaining anchor, and went ashore, becoming a total wreck.  After vain attempts to float her, her guns were removed, and she was sold for ?200 (she was uninsured), and in the following December she was completely broken up by the gale.  It was a more fitting end from that she had five years previously been saved, but it did little credit to the nation she had so well defended.  Forgotten, dishonoured, destroyed, her pathetic wreck defaced, in the one night it was left unguarded, with a vile parody of Nelson?s most famous signal, the work of an enterprising pill proprietor, against whom a successful action was brought, it is not surprising that her name is in abeyance in the Navy List.  It is, however, born by a small frigate, now lying near the ?Implacable? in Falmouth Harbour.  This is the old 38-gun frigate ?Trincomalee,? which had been sold to be broken up shortly before the ?Foudroyant? was wrecked.  Bought from the ship-breaker ( the original purchaser of the old ?Foudroyant?) by Mr. Wheatly Cobb, she served to house the boys who remained after the ?Foudroyant?s? wreck, and after a thorough repair at Cowes, lasting four years, she was moved to her present berth where, save for a visit to Milford to take on board the guns of Nelson?s ?Foudroyant,? she has since remained.  It is hoped and intended that the 32-pounders from the ?Foudroyant? now in her hold, may some day be mounted in the lower-deck battery

HMS Inflexible

The fourth ?INFLEXIBLE? was a 4-gun twin-screw turret ship, launched at Portsmouth in 1876.  She was of 11,400 tons, 8000 horse-power, and 15 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 320ft., 75ft., and 25ft.  In 1882 the ?Inflexible,? commanded by Captain John Fisher, took part in the Egyptian War.   In July the ?Inflexible? lay off Alexandria in a fleet of 14 ships, commanded by Admiral Sir Beauchamp Seymour with his flag in ?Alexandria.? The Egyptians having failed to surrender their forts, the Commander-in-Chief  transferred his flag to the lighter draught battleship ?Invincible,? and on July 11th at 7A.M. the ?Alexandra? fired the first shot in the bombardment if Alexandria.  The ?Inflexible? was stationed in the Corvette Pass, 3750 yards from Mex, and the concussion of her guns smashed her boats, and damaged her superstucture.  The ships were all cleared for action with topgallant masts struck by bowsprits rigged in.  By 7.10 A.M. all ships were engaged, and all the forts that could bring their guns to bear replied with vigour.  At 12.30 the Mex forts having received enough punishment, the ?Inflexible? moved eastwards and engaged Forts Pharos and Ada.  During the firing one of the turret-guns stopped firing, and the gunnery lieutenant, Frank C. Younghusband, had himself rammed into the gun where he cleared the vent, and then, after being nearly suffocated by the powder gasses, was hauled out by a rope tied to his feet. By 5P.M. all the Egyptian guns were silent, and the fleet ceased bombarding at 5:30P.M.  The ?Inflexible? was the ship most injured.  Besides being somewhat mauled aloft, and having her unarmoured parts penetrated in various places, she was struck outside the citadel below the water line by a 10? Palliser shot, which glanced upwards, passed through the deck, killed Carpenter Shannon, and mortally wounded Lieutenant Jackson on the superstructure.  In the course of its career it impressed the name on its base on an iron bollard which is now preserved at whale island, and by way of small reminder of the action it wrecked the captain?s cabin.  According to the Egyptian official account the ?Inflexible? sank off Fort Ada at 10A.M.!  The only conceivable source of this statement is the fact that some weeks after the bombardment the ?Inflexible? had to be dry locked for repairs. The British casualties were 5 killed and 28 wounded, to which the ?Inflexible? contributed 1 killed, 1 mortally wounded, and 1 wounded.  The Egyptian loss has never properly ascertained, but it is believed to have been about 150 killed and 400 wounded, out of the 2000 men engaged in the working of the forts.  During the day the small were able to engage the heavy forts, by simple expedient of going so close that the Egyptian guns could not be depressed sufficiently to hit the ship?s hulls.  The ?Inflexible? contributed to a Naval Brigade which occupied and policed the town of Alexandria with its turbulent population.  Captain John Fisher commanded the outer line of defences, and Captain Lord Charles Beresford acted as Chief of Police in the town.     Lieutenant William Harvey Pigott of the ?Inflexible? and a seaman mounted the damaged lighthouse at great risk, and relighted the lamp in it, but neither was able to descend until rescued.  Captain Fisher, assisted by Lieutenant Richard Poore, devised and improvised an armoured train, which at once became exceedingly useful for reconnoitring purposes, and which was used first in action on July 28th, and then continuously.  Captain Fisher was sent for by the Khedive and complimented, on relinquishing some of his store duties.  On August 5th the ?Inflexible? contributed to a Naval Brigade which left Alexandria in the armoured train which was commanded by Captain John Fisher.  The marines were detrained about 800 yards from Mehallet Junction, and, assisted by a 40-pounder Armstrong gun, quickly dislodged the enemy.  During the evening the Brigade was exposed to a galling fire, but the marines behaved with great gallantry and bore the brunt of the attack.  The casualties in this affair were 1 marine killed and 12 wounded, and 1 seaman killed and 4 wounded.  The Naval Brigade were then recalled to their ships.    In August 1882 the ?Inflexible?s? men assisted in the seizure and occupation of the Suez Canal.   Captain John A. Fisher was given the C.B., and Commander Albert B. Jenkins was promoted to captain, for their services.  In 1885 the ?Inflexible? contributed to a Naval Brigade which operated on the Nile under Captain Lord Charles Beresford.  They took part in the battles of Abu Klea, Metemmeh, and Wad-Habeshi, and in the relief  of  Sir Charles Wilson.  After some years service as post guardship at Portsmouth, the ?Inflexible? was sold at Chatham in 1903.  The fifth ?INFLEXIBLE? is a 24-gun turbine battle cruiser, launched at Clydebank in 1907.  She is of 17,250 tons, 41,000 horse-power, and 26 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 539ft., 78ft.,and 26ft. On September 1st, 1909, the ?Inflexible,? while commanded by Captain Henry H. Torlesse, hoisted the Union Flag Admiral of the fleet Sir Edward Hobart Seymour.  She thus became the first steam man-of-war to carry the Union of an Admiral of the fleet.  The last occasion of a union being hoisted at sea was when H.R.H. the Duke of Clarence (afterwards H.M. King William IV.)  did so in 1814, to receive the allied squadrons at Spithead, on the occasion of  Napoleon going to Elba.  On the day that the ?Inflexible? left Portsmouth the unusual sight was witnessed of a ship with two Union Flags flying.  That at the fore was the usual signal for a man-of-war leaving harbour, while the union flag of the Admiral of the fleet was being displayed at the main.  The battle cruiser proceeded to New York where the cruisers ?Drake,? which was flying the flag of Rear-Admiral F.T. Hamilton, ?Duke of Edinburgh,? and ?Argyll? joined the union.  The Admiral of the fleet was the representative of the British Nation at the Hudson-Fulton centenary celebrations, instituted by the state of New York in honour of the tercentenary of Henry Hudson?s discovery of the River Hudson and the practical centenary (really 102 years) of Robert Fulton?s launching the first steamer on that river.  The Admiral of the fleet, returning to England in the ?Inflexible,? struck his Union flag on October 19th, 1909.

HMS Invincible

The seventh ?INVINCIBLE? was a twin-screw 14-gun broadside ironclad, launched at Glasgow in 1869.  She was of 6010 tons, 4830 horse-power, and 14 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 280ft., 54ft., and 23ft.   In 1873 the ?Invincible,? commanded by Captain John Clark Soady, was one of a small squadron under Vice-Admiral Sir Hastings Yelverton, which proceeded to the Spanish coast and established a blockade of the Spanish Mediterranean littoral.  She assisted in the operations against the Spanish Intransigentes and prevented the insurgent ships from bombarding various coastal towns.  In 1879 the ?Invincible,? commanded by Captain Lindesay Brine, was one of a squadron of seven ships which occupied the island of Cyprus under Vice-Admiral Lord John Hay with his flag in ?Minotaur.?  In 1882 the ?Invincible,? took part in the Egyptian War.     In July 1882 the ?Invincible,? commanded by Captain Robert More Molyneux, lay at Alexandria in a fleet of 14 ships commanded by Admiral Sir Beauchamp Seymour with his flag in ?Alexandra.? The Egyptians having failed to surrender their forts, the Admiral transferred his flag to the lighter draught ship ?Invincible,? and on July 11th at 7a.m. the ?Alexandra? fired the first shot in bombardment of Alexandria.  The ?Invincible,? with two other ships, was stationed inside the harbour, and she fought at anchor with a spring on her cable.  All ships were cleared for action, topgallant masts being struck and bowsprits rigged in.  By 7.10 a.m. all ships were engaged, and all the forts that could bring their guns to bear replied with vigour.  By 5 p.m. all guns ashore had been silenced and the fleet ceased bombarding at 5:30 p.m.  The ?Invincible? had several dents on her armour, and was penetrated more than once outside it.  The British casualties were 5 killed and 28 wounded , to which the ?Invincible? contributed 6 wounded, including Midshipman Walter Lumsden.  The Egyptian loss has never been properly ascertained, but it is believed to have been about 150 killed and 400 wounded , out of the 200 men engaged in working the forts.  On July 13th the ?Invincible,? and other ships steamed into the harbour, and landed men who occupied and policed the town, Paymaster Stanton of this ship becoming the Head of the Commissariat.  On August 5th the ?Invincible? contributed to a Naval Brigade which left Alexandria in the armoured train which was commanded by Captain John Fisher, of the ?Inflexible.?  Commander Reginald F.H. Henderson, of the ?Invincible,? accompanied the brigade.  The marines were detrained about 800 yards from Mehallet Junction, and assisted by a 40-pounder Armstrong gun, quickly dislodged the enemy.  During the evening the brigade was exposed to a galling fire, but the marines behaved with great gallantry, and bore the brunt of the attack.  The casualties in this affair were 1 marine killed and 12 wounded, and 1 seaman killed and 4 wounded. The Naval Brigade were then recalled to their ships.  In 1885 the ?Invincible? contributed to a Naval Brigade which operated on the Nile, under Captain Lord Charles Beresford.  It took part in the battles of Abu Klea, Metemmeh, and Wad-Habeshi, and the relief of Sir Charles Wilson.  Captain Robert More Molyneux was rewarded with the C.B. for his services.  In 1904 this ship?s name was changed to ?Erebus.?  At a later date her name was changed again to ?Fisgard,? and she was merged into the establishment for the training of boy artificers in Portsmouth harbour. On September 16th, 1914, this ship foundered off Portland in a heavy gale.  She was being towed at the time, and 21 men were drowned out of the 64 on board.   The eighth ?INVINCIBLE? is a 24-gun turbine battle cruiser, launched at Elswick Yard in 1907.  She is of 17,250 tons, 41,000 horse-power, and 26 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 530ft., 78ft., and 26ft.   She was the first British warship to be fitted with an entirely electrical installation for working her 12-inch turret guns.  The apparatus was not successful and was removed in 1914.

HMS Iron Duke

The first ?IRON DUKE? was a 10-gun twin-screw battleship of 6034 tons, launched at Pembroke in 1870.  She was of 4268 horse-power, which gave her a speed of 13.6 knots speed, and she carried a crew of 450 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 280ft., 54ft., and 23ft.   In 1874 the ?Iron Duke,? commanded by Captain William Arthur and flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Frederick Shadwell, with several small craft in company, appeared off the mouth of the Klang and Langkat Rivers.  Their object was to induce the Sultan of Selangor to give his word that he would make reparation for a series of piratical acts which had been committed by some of his subjects.  Sir Frederick Shadwell accompanied the Governor up the Klang River to Langkat, and induced the Sultan to take measures for the punishment of the pirates, and to agree to the destruction of certain stockades.  The ?Iron Duke? then withdrew.    On September 1st, 1875 the ?Iron Duke,? while commanded by Captain Henry B. Hickley, accidentally rammed and sank the ?Vanguard,?  Captain Richard Dawkins, off the Kish bank.  The accident occurred in foggy weather, but happily no lives were lost.  In 1896-97 the ?Iron Duke? was re-armed and re-rigged, but she saw no further service.  She was sold in 1906 for ?15,000.  The second ?IRON DUKE? is a 24-gun turbine battleship lain down and launched at Portsmouth in 1912.  She is of 25,000 tons, 29,000 horse-power, and 22 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 574ft., 90ft., and 28ft.

Click here to go to our naval history forum

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads
Valuations

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page