Naval History by Country :
|VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE|
|NAVAL ART||AVIATION ART||MILITARY ART||SPORT ART|
Scout cruisers of the Austro Hungarian Empire. The Austro-Hungarian Navy created four turbine powered scout cruisers designed to be used as hit-and-run vessels which would disrupt enemy shipping and communications.
Kaiser Karl VI
Built in 1898
Displacement: 6,325 tons. Complement: 450. Length: 367.5 ft. Breadth: 56 ft. Depth: 22 ft. Armament: two 9.4 inch guns, eight 6 inch guns, eighteen 3 pdr guns, 2 machine guns and two torpedo tubes.
|Ship Name||Launch Date||Fate|
Frigates and Corvettes from 1870-1876
|Donau||15th October 1874||Scrapped in 1888.|
|Donau||28th June 1893||Given to Yugoslavia at the end of the war and became Sibenik in 1920.|
|Radetzky||20th June 1872||Became gunnery training ship in 1897, renamed Adria in 1908. Became accommodation ship in 1915.|
|Laudon||20th September 1873||Renamed Schwarzenberg in 1900. Given to Yugoslavia in 1919 and renamed Prvi but taken away by Italy where she was scrapped in 1923.|
|Saida||2nd July 1878||Renamed Minerva in 1912. Given to Italy at the end of the war and scrapped in 1920.|
|Tiger||28th June 1887||Renamed Lacroma in 1906. Became Yugoslavian in 1918 but was given to Italy in 1920 and scrapped.|
|Leopard||10th September 1885||Became a training ship in 1917 then given to Britain at the end of the war and scrapped in 1920.|
|Panther||13th June 1885||Became harbour defence ship at Pola c 1914 then given to Britain at the end of the war. Scrapped in 1920.|
|Kaiser Franz Joseph I Class|
|Kaiser Franz Joseph I||18th May 1889||Harbour defence ship. Given to France after WW1 but foundered and sank in October 1919.|
Second Class cruiser Kaiser Franz Joseph
The Franz Joseph was launched in 1889. Her sister ship was Kaiserin Elizabeth. She displaced 4,030 tons, and carried two 9.4 inch guns in protected barbettes, fore and aft, and six of 5.9 inch sponsons on the broadsides, besides many smaller guns. She also had five torpedo tubes. Subdivision of her hull and a 2.25 inch steel deck added to her safety. Her engines were of 9,000 hp giving a speed of 19 knots.
|Kaiserin Elisabeth||25th September 1890||Took part in actions at Tsingtao before being scuttled on 2nd November 1914.|
|Zenta||18th August 1897||Sunk on 16th August 1914 by French battleships.|
|Aspern||3rd May 1899||Became accommodation ship at Pola in 1918 before being given to Britain and scrapped in 1920.|
|Szigetvar||29th October 1900||Became accommodation and target ship in 1918 before given to Britain and scrapped in 1920.|
Austrian cruiser Szigetvar in 1902. She was launched in 1900 and measured 313 ft in length with a displacement of 2,437 tons and a speed of 17.5 knots.
|Kaiserin und Konigen Maria Theresa||29th April 1893||Given to Britain in 1920, then sold to Italy and scrapped in 1920s.|
Armoured Cruiser Maria Theresia
The Maria Theresia was an armoured cruiser of 5,270 tons, with 4 inch partial side protection, 4 inch steel in the chief gun positions and a 2 inch deck. Armoured turrets and breastworks fore and aft mounted a 9.4 inch gun and two 5.9 inch quick-firers severally for bow and stern fire, and four others of the smaller calibre were distributed in sponsons on the broadsides. The lesser armament included eighteen other quick-firers.
|Kaiser Karl IV||4th October 1898||Given to Britain in 1920, then sold to Italy and scrapped in 1920s.|
|Sankt Georg||8th December 1903||Given to Britain in 1920, then sold to Italy and scrapped in 1920s.|
|Admiral Spaun||30th October 1909||Ceded to Britain in 1920 before being sold to Italy and broken up during 1920-21.|
|Modified Admiral Spaun Class|
|Saida||26th October 1912||Ceded to Italy in 1920 and renamed Venezia. Taken off the list on 11th March 1937.|
|Helgoland||23rd November 1912||Ceded to Italy in 1920 and renamed Brindisi. Taken off the list on 11th March 1937.|
|Novara||15th February 1913||Ceded to France in 1920 and renamed Thionville. She was used as a gunnery and torpedo training ship in the Mediterranean until 1932. She was then used as an accommodation ship at Toulon before being sold and scrapped in 1941.|
Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS. NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax:
(+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: